August Writing Challenge Week 4

Write the first chapter to a novel you have no intention of ever finishing.


  “Where would you like to sit, Mr. Brooks?”
  “Close to the front door, so I can catch a glimpse of you when you come and go.”
  “Well, aren’t you sweet?” The young nurse laughed, gently leading the older man to a soft pink recliner
closest to the front door. She helped him from his walker into the chair. “I should feel flattered, but I know
you wanted to sit here because it’s the most comfortable chair in the lounge.”
  “That’s an added benefit, Maurice.” He patted her hand.
  “I’ll go get your medication.” She turned to go, but he held onto her hand.
  “Nevermind that. I don’t need it.”
  “But Mr. Brooks!” She started to protest.
  “I only have a few weeks left. Let me spend those days doing anything besides popping pills.”
  “But sir, it’s against regulations.”
  “You won’t tell on me, will you?”
  She bit her lower lip. “I’m so sorry about...everything.”
  He smiled. “The cancer? We all have to go sometime. But I’m not afraid. I know where I’m going when I
die. Knowing Jesus is waiting for me at the other end of this journey makes me want to rush things down
here.”
  Maurice squeezed his hand. They had often had conversations like this and she had learned not to say
anything and just agree with him. Whatever to keep the old man happy.
  “Can I bring you anything, Mr. Brooks?”
  “No, I’ll just sit here. Thank you.”
  She turned and walked away, her sneakers making soft padding sounds down the hallway.
  You know I’m ready to come home, Lord. I’ve always wondered what heaven will be like.
  The front door to the lobby opened and in stepped a stooped older man. A new comer.


  “I don’t know why I have to come here to this place,” Jimmy King spat bitterly.
  His son, Paul, followed him through the door. “Dad, we’ve been over this again and again! I will not have
you living alone in that big house. I don’t have the time to play nursemaid and check up on you every morning
and evening.”
  Jimmy scoffed. “I had to play nursemaid to you and your sister while you grew up. It seems like the least
you can do to repay that debt.”
  “Are you going to bring that up again? Well, I remember those growing up years. And you weren’t really
there. Mom was the one taking care of us, not you.”
  “I was out providing a life for you two ungrateful children. And what do I get for my hard work?”
  “High blood pressure, a successful business, and an amazing daughter-in-law.” A woman appeared through
the door and placed a peck-kiss on the old man’s cheek. “How are you doing, Jimmy?”
   He smiled. “Better, now that you’re here. I just want to know why a woman as sweet as you would want
to marry my son.”
  “Well, someone had to do it.” She laughed, linking arms with her father-in-law. “Now are you being a bad
boy about all of this?”
  He sighed and glared at his son. “I came, didn’t I?”
  “Kicking and screaming,” his son muttered as he turned to the front desk. “Hey, we have a reservation
for Jimmy King.
  “Okay,” the receptionist, who had been pretending she couldn’t hear their previous conversation, turned
to her computer and typed in Jimmy’s name. “Ah, yes, we have been waiting for you, sir. But it looks like
your room isn’t quite ready yet. Our maid is in there cleaning this very minute. You are more than welcome
to wait in the lounge.”
  “How long will that take?” Paul checked his smart watch.
  “I would say about 45 minutes.”
  Paul shook his head. “I don’t have time for that!”
  “You can just dump me here, then.” Jimmy turned toward the lounge his back toward his son. “Rose, you’ll
stay and keep me company?”
  “Oh, um, well, I’d love to. But Fluffy has an appointment with the groomer and I can’t miss that.”
  Jimmy rolled his eyes. “Ah, yes, the poodle’s hair is more important than your father-in-law.”
  “Don’t be difficult. We’ll come visit you soon.” Rose said.
  “Yeah, ‘soon’. Jesus said he was coming back soon. And he’s still not back.”
  “Where should we put Jimmy’s things?” Rose asked the receptionist, ignoring her father-in-laws comment.
  “I’ll send someone out to help unload.”
  “You won’t be needing me anymore.” Jimmy walked toward the lounge.
   
  Roy had been listening to the noisy conversation in the lobby. It was almost impossible to avoid it. When
the older man thumped into the room, Roy made eye contact and smiled.
  “You’re new here?”
  “Hmm.” The man nodded, then slumped into a yellow easy chair.
  “I’m Roy Brooks.” He extended his hand.
  The man accepted the handshake. “Jimmy King.”
  “Nice to meet you. Where are you from?”
  “About an hour east of here. Paul - my son - found a nursing home as far away as possible so he wouldn’t
have to be near me. Just like that ungrateful boy!”
  “Do you have any other family?”
  “Yeah, a daughter. But she’s so caught up in her work that I haven’t seen her in a year. She lives in New
York.”
  Roy was quiet for a few moments. A clock ticked each second away.
  “The facilities are quite nice here. And the nurses are good.”
  “Best money can buy. I deserve at least that.”
  “Do you enjoy a game of chess?”
  “That is one of the many things I do better than anyone. You don’t know what you’re getting into!”
  Roy smiled. “I think I can hold my own. I’ll just need some assistance getting out of this chair.”
  “Uh, well, I’ll call the nurse.” Jimmy stood and left the lounge.
  The front door opened and a luggage cart was pushed through.
  “That’s everything that we packed today,” Paul was saying to the young man who was pushing the cart.
“We’ll bring more things later.”
  The young man pushed the cart to the elevator and the doors closed behind him.
  “Where is your dad?” Rose looked around.
  “He’s not here, so I’m leaving now.”
  “Paul, at least act civil towards him. If it weren’t for me, he’d probably write us out of his will!”
  “Just keep up your facade of being his favorite daughter-in-law and we’ll be just fine. I am glad to finally
get him out of my hair, though.”
  Rose nodded. “Fluffy does have her grooming appointment. I had to book months in advance to get that
woman.”
  The two turned and left through the front door.
  Moments later, Jimmy returned with Maurice. The young nurse kindly helped Roy from his recliner to
a seat where the game of chess was set up. She left once he was comfortably situated and the men commenced
their game.
  They chatted about their families. Roy hadn’t had any kids, and his wife had passed away years before.
Jimmy and his wife had divorced after their daughter had graduated high school. They had agreed to stick
it out until then.
  “What did you do before retiring?” Roy asked, moving his knight.
  “I worked with computers - started my own company.”
  “That’s impressive!”
  “Yeah, it was very successful. I sold it a few years ago. I didn’t want Paul to have any say in my life’s work
after I’m gone. He’d just mess things up.” Jimmy paused. “It’s your turn.”
  “Oh,” Roy jolted back from a daze. “Yes, of course.” Without pausing, he moved his king.
  “That’s checkmate.”
  “Oh,” he shook his head, and tried for another spot. “What was the name of your company?”
  “J. King Computers. You’ve probably heard of them.”
  “Yeah, yeah I have.” Roy’s hand trembled as he moved another piece.
  “Wait, it’s my turn. Are you feeling...alright?” Jimmy, not knowing what to do, seemed uncomfortable.
  “I think I need to lie down. We can finish this game later.” Roy waved to Maurice and she came over.
   “Suit yourself. You’re just delaying your defeat.”


  Back in his room, Roy lay on his bed and rubbed his hands over his eyes.
  His past had come back to haunt him. The one thing that he had thought he had put behind him was now
there, staring him in the face.
  You know what you need to do.
  “Yeah, but I don’t want to. Jimmy would never know the difference.”
  But I would.
  His arguments with God never went well.
  You only have a few more days - maybe weeks - left on earth. Why not make things right?
  “Lord, I need your help. If this is something you want me to do, then give me strength and courage to
tell Jimmy what I did.”
  His heart at peace, he slipped into a restful sleep.

Comments