Keeping a Journal


It’s a cold, rainy day. You curl up with your favorite blanket and a warm cup of tea, and begin to write: “Dear Diary,”

The words flow as you describe what you did that day, then move on to your plans for the next day, week, and month. You write down bits of chatter, then begin to write down thoughts you don’t care to share with the world. You end with a prayer and maybe a Bible verse, then lay your pen down and thumb through your full journal. It’s as thick as a novel, filled with your day-to-day life and thoughts. You can relive all those distant memories because you took the time to write them down. You can read what you thought last year when you didn’t get that promotion, or when you went skiing for the first time. Your journal is a priceless treasure, one you wouldn’t dare give or throw away and one that you’ll let your future husband and children read and generations later will be able to walk where you walked.

Doesn’t that get you excited about keeping a journal?

I started journaling when I was around eight. I loved the “Dear America” movies and was super inspired to start my own journal. I had one for about six months, keeping it safe under my mattress, and writing everything in it. Sadly, that journal (it was just a note book) was destroyed. A couple years later, when I was ten, my parents gave me a “real” journal for Christmas. I was so excited! My first entries were very simple: “Today, we made cookies. I played with dolls.” As I got older, spelling, grammar, and handwriting improved. It took my five years to fill that first journal. Over the next four years, I filled three more. By then, I had learned a hard lesson - don’t write down every emotion I’m feeling. My last three journals were like my personal soap opera: I had written about every boy I had a crush on, every time I was mad at someone, and gossiped a whole bunch. When I’d read through my previous journals, I’d just feel discouraged. So I did the enormous task of typing out and editing each journal, then burned them. I didn’t want to read them and certainly didn’t want anyone else to read them. I started my next journal afresh, writing only things that I wouldn’t be embarrassed or ashamed of later.

I’m now on my sixth journal. I don’t write in it as often as I would like, but I still try to keep it up. When Kris and I were courting and engaged, I wanted to record everything because I wanted to be able to relive those days. I wasn’t able to journal every day - in fact, it was more like once a week or two. But I’m grateful for what I did write down! I tell myself the same thing now, because someday we’ll have children and our lives will be totally different and we’ll want to look back on these first few months of marriage.

Throughout the last twelve years, I’ve learned a few things about keeping a journal and figured out what has worked for me. Here are some tips and ideas that hopefully will get you started and excited about journaling!

1. Get a fun colored journal and use colored pens, crayons, or markers (if that’s your thing. I tried using different colored pens and couldn’t stand it! I like to just use black ink.) For me, when I have a journal I love, I’ll be much more likely to use it! There are so many fun options out there!

2. Don’t use a pencil - it will fade over time.

3. Don’t write in cursive unless you really like your cursive handwriting. Try to write as well as you can - not only does this help you read it later, it helps improve your handwriting.

4. Don’t write things you would be embarrassed or ashamed to let others read. If you mention someone else, only speak good about them. Don’t write someone else’s secrets in your journal. If you have to write about a guy, don’t go on and on and, preferably, don’t mention his name. Think about your future husband reading that someday.

5. If the idea of keeping an actual pen and paper journal sounds too old fashioned, keep a digital one.

6. I know some people like to keep different journals - one for prayer, every day stuff, goals, etc. - and if that works for you, great! But I’ve tried that and didn’t like juggling more than one. I like to keep everything in one generic journal - everyday happenings, prayers and praises, goals, thoughts, etc.

7. Don’t just write - try drawing or doodling. It doesn’t have to be perfect to be beautiful. If you need some inspiration, there are so many fun ideas for this on Pinterest. (This is one of my favorites! I’ve got more ideas here on my Journal Pinterest Board)

8. Don’t worry if you’d done the start and stop method of journaling over the last five years. Kris started a journal when he was fourteen then started another last year that he didn’t complete. But I LOVE reading those because it gives me a peek into what my husband thought those many years ago.

9. Writing may not come naturally for you, and that’s okay! Do only as much as you want - start with a quick overview of the day. Expound if you feel like it. Try writing what you’re thinking. This doesn’t have to be perfect! Remember - you don’t have to show these to anyone! The more you do it, the better you’ll get. And what better way to see your progress than reading over old journal entries?

Keeping a journal is so much more than recording the day-to-day facts. It’s a wonderful way to relax and unwind, it’s a creative outlet, it’s a way of getting to know yourself better, and stretches you as a person. It’s never too late to start - tomorrow, you’ll be grateful you did!

Comments