{Pregnancy Update} The Second Trimester

Photo by Suhyeon Choi on Unsplash

I can’t believe my second trimester is already over - the time has flown by! During the last three months, we celebrated our first anniversary, bought a house and moved across town, celebrated Thanksgiving with my family 2 ½ hours away, and a few weeks later we were back to celebrate Christmas with them, than Christmas day with Kris’s family, and then we headed out on an 8-day road trip to Arizona and California that spanned New Years Day. I guess time really does fly when you’re having fun! :-)

When the second trimester hit, I was very much looking forward to putting morning sickness far, far behind me. But it lingered on for almost two months longer, keeping me very on top of eating when I was hungry, especially in the mornings. And always keeping my handy bucket close by for emergencies. Then, miraculously, I could slowly start eating foods that I couldn’t even think about before - most notably eggs, potatoes (in any form including french fries), any meat (especially smoked), and zucchini (which took the longest). As of right now, all morning sickness is completely gone! So incredibly grateful for that!!

Morning sickness out the door, but then came her evil twin, heartburn. The two foods that consistently sends me for my tums is chocolate (white, milk, or dark, there’s no distinction) and anything spicy, but I still will have touches of heartburn even if those offenders don’t pass my lips. So I don’t know what the connection is. But, tums are the best and I don’t leave the house without them! (And apple cider vinegar is absolutely gross and doesn’t work for me.)

As for clothes, pretty much everything non-maternity has made its way to a box in the basement that won’t see the light of day until about midsummer (except a few items like sweaters or button-ups that I wear opened in the front.) My sister lent me her enormous collection of maternity clothes (thank you so much, Laura!), so besides one pair of pants, larger bras (yep, you grow there too.) and gifts from family members, I haven’t had to purchase anything new which has been such a blessing!

Before moving, I started a prenatal workout program that I really liked (Susan Bowen’s Long & Lean Prenatal Workout), then Kris gave me the What to Expect When You’re Expecting Workout DVD for Christmas which I have been absolutely loving. I will probably end up switching between the two because I like to keep things interesting and different each day.

Overall, my second trimester has been great! I know that the next 3 months of pregnancy will probably feel like another 9 months and I’ll have to keep myself busy so I don’t go crazy. ;-) It is so exciting and special to feel our little baby wiggling and kicking and dancing around (he/she is pretty active in there!) and even more special when Kris gets to feel the baby move! We are so incredibly blessed and we can’t wait to meet our little squirt in April! <3

Comments