Writing Thank You Notes part III

Photo by Aaron Burden on Unsplash

This is a scheduled post which will publish on my due date! I'm not sure if I'll have a baby by then or not. For the next few weeks, maybe months, I'll be posting scheduled posts (some upcycled, some new content that I've written in advance). One of my goals this year was to blog once a week and miraculously, I've kept that up so far! My life will be changing drastically with our baby's arrival, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep up this blog, but we'll figure that out over the next few months. :-)

Here are part I and II in this series.
How to Write Wedding Notes Part I
How to Write Wedding Notes Part II

Right after we got married, I wrote out around 100 wedding thank you notes (it sure felt like more than that, though!). Our church just put on a baby shower for me and I’m at it again. With this whole process still fresh in my mind, I thought I’d jot out a few more tips, ideas, and just plain inspiration for any of you who are or will be facing this challenge. Here goes!

-Before you start, have your supplies near at hand. My list of essentials include: 
1) Note cards. Can’t get any easier or cheaper than picking up a few of the 8-card packs at Dollar Tree. And they have some pretty cute ones, too! 
2) The addresses. When I wrote my wedding TYs, I kept my guest list nearby. I’m currently using my church directory since pretty much everyone who attended my baby shower goes to our church.
3) White out. Because mistakes happen. 
4) Computer or pen and paper to figure out what you want to say before copying it onto your card.

-Don’t put it off. With any daunting task, the more you think about it and put it off, the bigger and more difficult the job will seem. Start the day (or day after) you receive the gifts. Writing out notes early also helps keep the gift fresh in your mind, so you’ll be able to remember specific details about what was given, how it was wrapped, etc.

-If you have a lot of notes to write, set yourself a quota for each day. As a whole, 100 TYs seems overwhelming, but broken up into 10 a day is much more doable.
-Give yourself rewards. After writing out a certain number, you can do something else. Or after you finish them all, you can go get a blizzard. Whatever helps you stay focused and excited to finish.

-It’s okay to say the same thing in several cards. The recipients won’t be comparing notes.

-When jotting down who gave what, write enough info so that you’ll remember each gift later. Instead of writing “blanket” or “book”, put something a bit more descriptive, like “fuzzy green blanket” and the name of the book.

-But my best piece of advice is just do it. When starting out this batch of thank yous, I started to get stressed out and worry about what I was going to say. But once I just buckled down and began, things started to flow. Yes, it did take a few notes to get in the swing of things, but once you have momentum going, it’s gets easier and faster.

Comments