My Pregnancy Must-Haves

Photo by Drew Hays on Unsplash

This is a scheduled post, as I'm currently on "maternity leave". :-) I'm looking forward to popping back on here and introducing our new baby!
Every pregnancy is different, but these are the things that have helped me the most and that I plan to use with future pregnancies.

Of course, this list would be incomplete without mentioning my amazing husband who’s been there, loving and encouraging me through everything. He rubs my back while I’m throwing up, tells me I look beautiful even though I feel like a cow, happily buys all those expensive supplements, puts my socks on when I can’t reach my feet, and who will (I know!) be an amazing encouragement and support during my labor and delivery. I know I couldn’t have gone through this without you, my darling!

And really quick, two other groups of people - my amazing midwives who are super knowledgeable, laid back, gentle, and personable and my own sisters/mom who have given so much advice and encouragement throughout my whole pregnancy. <3

Now onto my list of must-haves.

My bucket For the first half of my pregnancy, this was one item that I never left the house without it tucked under my arm. I had two faithful companions during those days, later choosing one with a lid (for obvious reasons). Because I threw up multiple times a day, these poor guys got a lot of use. But I wouldn’t have traded them for anything. For pregnancies down the road, I think I’ll start carrying plastic bags in my purse for added coverage. ;-)

Trail Mix I can’t tell you how many bags of trail mix I consumed during my first two trimesters, but they definitely were my main source of protein when I couldn’t stomach any meat. This was super easy to pack in snack ziplocks and carry in my purse for any emergencies (i.e. missing a meal by 20 minutes. Seriously. Or for a middle-of-a-long-sermon snack) FYI, I prefered Costco’s trail mix over Fred Meyer’s because they had about half the raisins (I do like raisins, just not 75% of the entire mix.)

Crackers Lived on these guys. I tried to get mostly whole wheat crackers, but if all you can stomach are saltines, that’s better than eating nothing!

Natural Ginger Ale (with real ginger) Okay, I don’t like ginger normally. But I wasn’t drinking this stuff for the taste. Yes, it was potent, but it was cold and fizzy and helped ward off nausea attacks. (I actually still have a couple bottles in my fridge...saving them for next time!) During my first trimester, when leaving the house, I’d collect my bucket, crackers, trail mix, and ginger ale and would be set for the day.

Peanut Butter Spread on toast, crackers, or granola bars for extra protein, with apples, or in homemade bars. No peanut butter in the house is a big problem around here.

Tums (or store-brand heartburn tablets) 2nd and 3rd trimester’s best friends. These guys are better than chocolate.

Pill organizer Every morning, I take a prenatal vitamin, 2 fish oil, 1-2 vitamin D, 1 kelp, 3 vitamin C, 1 garlic gel, 1 oregano oil, and 2 probiotic pills and every evening 1 fish oil, 1 methylated B complex, 1 iron, 1 vitamin D, 1 garlic gel, and 1 oregano oil capsule. (Phew!) The day I bought a morning and evening pill organizer, I saved myself about ten minutes of opening bottles of supplements every day. This is so handy as I only have to fill it up once a week. It makes the already unpleasant job of taking pills much quicker.

Maternity Pants (that fit) I’ve gone through so many pairs of maternity pants. It’s really hard to find a pair that is tight enough to stay up (with no buttons or zippers, that’s a lot to ask the stretchy belly band!), but lose enough to be comfortable and not constricting. The pair that I purchased (near the beginning of my prego) has been absolutely amazing. I got them at Target and I think they were $35-$40 (I got them on sale, though). Because I’m short, I had to hem a couple inches off the bottom - totally worth it, though! I think the thing that makes these so amazing is the belly band - it’s low in the back, but goes over my belly in the front. It’s not super stretchy like spandex so they stay up, but has enough give to make them comfy.

Pregnancy Workout Working out in my first trimester never sounded fun (does moving around ever sound fun when you feel like you have the stomach flu?), but it actually helped fight my nausea. Working out during your prego is so much more than just staying fit - it helps with circulation and deep breathing, helps sore tired muscles and gives you more energy. (Also, when you work out, your baby will be smarter!) I’m loving the What to Expect When You’re Expecting workout DVD that Kris got me for Christmas. It’s easy and fun, and I love how it’s divided up into ten minute segments, helping you customize your workout depending on how you’re feeling.

You other Mamas out there - what would you add to this list?

Comments

Post a Comment