On Nail Polish and Honoring Your Husband

Photo by Giulia Bertelli on Unsplash

This is a scheduled post, as I'm currently on "maternity leave". :-) I'm looking forward to popping back on here and introducing our new baby!

“He made you give up colored nail polish? I would tell him I wear what I like - I’m not going to let someone change who I am!”

This is what a surprised friend said to me after it accidentally slipped out that I had given away all my nail polish when my (then) husband-to-be had said he didn’t care for that. I was a little embarrassed but I tried to explain:

“Nail polish doesn’t define who I am. Kris isn’t trying to ‘change’ me, I’m trying to honor him.”

That response from my friend is sadly so common these days. We women are so into “being ourselves” that we bristle when someone even suggests that we should change a clothing or behavioral style. We’ve all bought into the lie that we can be anything we want to and that following your heart is always the best option.

Wrong! Our hearts are so deceptive and so wicked!

I have to be a honest - it was kind of hard to give up some of my favorite things like colored nail polish, some makeup, and big pairs of gold earrings for Kris. But I wanted to honor Kris more than keep those things. (This may sound kind of funny, but I think God was preparing me to get rid of that jewelry - for the last several months before Kris and I started our courtship, my family had been cooking for the Azure Standard employees and we couldn’t wear earrings while cooking or serving food. I couldn’t rely on jewelry to feel pretty. )

Now when I look back, I don’t miss those things at all. They don’t mean anything to me now. And guess what? I haven’t changed. My personality isn’t stifled because I gave up a few things to honor my husband. How about that? :-)

It really was such a little thing to give up and I would gladly do it a hundred times over for my husband. He is so sweet and kind and loving and I am happy to do anything for him! Some of you may not be married yet - but you can honor your future husband now by preparing your heart. Don’t place your identity in looking nice, or wearing certain things. They are there to enhance your natural beauty and that’s all. They don’t define who you are! Yes, your future husband may love how you dress or he may want you to put some things aside. Remember you dress to honor God and whoever is in authority over you (your dad or husband).

“In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; but (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.” 1 Tim. 2 9-10

(Of course this does NOT mean that you let yourself go, never doing your hair or makeup, etc. It’s all about your heart.)

Comments