How to Actually Accomplish Your New Year’s Resolutions

It’s now halfway through the year - remember those ambitious resolutions you wrote out in January? How are you doing on them? Do you even remember what they were?


It’s never too late to begin again, and another fresh six months isn’t a year wasted. Don’t sigh and go your
way, thinking there’s no more hope for your poor goals.


I just looked over my list of goals - some I’ve been working on, while others I’ve kind of forgotten about. I don’t
want to get to the end of the year and regret not working harder at accomplishing these goals.


So here are a few tips I’m implementing to help myself get back on track:


1) Go over your goals again. See where you’ve been doing really well and also see where you need to work
harder. And it’s okay if you have some goals that don’t matter to you anymore. That’s part of growing as a
person - our priorities change over time and that’s a good thing.


2) Break your goals into small, doable chunks. If you wanted to read ten books this year, make it a daily goal
to read a chapter a day. Or maybe you wanted to cook healthier. Then plan to serve at least one veggie
with every meal. Small steps may not seem like much, but they will get you where you’re going eventually.


3) And finally, just do it. As my dad said, good intentions are like crying babies during a church service - they
need to be carried out. This is honestly the hardest for me - I’m good at talking and coming up with great
ideas, but not so good at actually accomplishing them. But once I accomplish something, it kind of feels like
the snowball effect and I’m super excited to keep going.


If you didn’t write up any goals at the beginning of the year, why not write out some now for the next six
months? Don’t wait for the near year, thinking that things will be different then. That’s like waiting till Monday
to start that diet or till tomorrow to clean the house. There is no better time than now - seize this moment!  

Now, excuse me while I spend some time in my journal figuring out how I’m going to accomplish my forgotten
New Year’s resolutions

Comments