You Make Time for What’s Important to You

I recently watched a TED talk on time management. While it was really good, I don’t want to rehash everything here, and I want to just write up my takeaway.


There are times when I say I can’t do something because I don’t have the time. But is that really true? I sometimes
feel like I’m so busy I don’t have any free time, so shut out things that I want to do someday.


But then where do I find the time to watch that ten-minute YouTube video? Or text my sisters? And how can
I carve out an hour and a half to talk on the phone with my sister-in-law? Am I really as busy as I think?


The problem is that for some reason I think I need hours of free time to fit in the extra projects I want to complete.
Say I want to be writing more. But 3 hours of writing on the one day where I can find that much spare time
isn’t as helpful as 30 minutes every day for a week. Same goes if I want to deep clean my house - a full free
day (which is hard to come by) of scrubbing will totally wear me out, but just a few minutes spent deep cleaning
a small section each day will feel like the job is a breeze. And it might actually get done.


Everyone’s schedule is different - you may work full time, be a stay-at-home mom or are still in school. But
no matter how busy you are, you still get to choose what you fill your time with. When you have an extra
minute, do you instinctively reach for your phone? Learn to change your mindset.


Of course, you can’t always be working and plugging away at your goals and dreams. You need downtime!
But learn to spend your free time doing things that fill you up, not tear you down.


My mom told me about a lady who loved sewing. But she had a house full of children whom she homeschooled.
She chose to spend 15 - only fifteen! - minutes a day sewing and slowly but surely, she made progress
on the different dresses and other projects she was working. I don’t know about you, but that inspires me!


This post is 100 percent for me. I always tell myself I don’t have time to write, deep clean my house, or organize,
and yet I (way more often than I like to admit) will reach for my phone to fill an empty moment. But I want
to fight against this bad habit. Who’s with me?

Comments