My Favorite Pregnancy and Nursing Snacks

Photo by Olenka Kotyk on Unsplash

In the following weeks and months, I want to go in depth with each snack, sharing pictures and recipes. But for now here is my current list of favorites. My criteria for snacks are quick and easy (usually a pan of something I prepare in a advance), inexpensive, taste amazing, and stuffed with protein. My indispensable ingredients are oats and peanut butter. For a while, I was off wheat, so all of these are gluten free recipes.


Great Escape Bars. These delicious granola bars are gluten free and can be made sugar free or with chocolate
chips or chocolate frosting. They are packed with peanut butter and oats (I have also added almond butter
and protein powder for extra protein) and are a hearty snack. They are easy to make in advance and pack
for trips or for emergency snacks on the go (or the middle of the night). The only problem is they taste so
good you’ll want to eat them all the time.


Chocolate Mountain Balls/Bars. These are healthy (sweetened with honey), with lots of oats, peanut
butter, and chocolate. The original recipes says to shape into balls, but I find it much easier and quicker
to pour into a pan and slice into bars. I sometimes cut down on the amount of honey so that I’m not tempted
to eat these all day long. I like these for an at-home snack, since they can be messy on the go.


Peanut Butter Balls. The healthy kind (though the regular are divine, too!). This is a snack my mom made
for us children growing up. With three ingredients (milk powder, honey, and peanut butter) these are really
quick to whip up. They are very rich, so you can’t eat too many at one time (a plus since this helps them
last longer! ;-)


Baked Oatmeal. I’m still trying out different recipes, but I like to use only honey to sweeten and double the
cinnamon. I eat them warmed with applesauce, blueberries, or peanut butter.


Veggies and Hummus or Ranch Dip. I still need to try out making my own hummus, since I devoured
the roasted garlic kind I picked up at Fred Meyers. I liked preparing little baggies of different kinds of veggies
(carrots, bell peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, etc.) and storing them in the fridge for a grab and go snack.


Rice Pudding. This is something that we grew up on - rice, milk, eggs, cinnamon, and almonds cooked to
perfection. It’s delicious warm or cold. I don’t have my mom’s recipe and have been trying out different ones
on Pinterest.


Apples or Celery with Peanut Butter. This is a quick snack that gives the impression that you’re healthy.

Any other snacks I should try? I am always looking for new ideas!

Comments