Things to Do Instead of Checking Your Phone

Photo by Paul Hanaoka on Unsplash

If you’re like me, whenever you have a spare moment, you instinctively reach for your phone. It’s almost become ingrained in us.


But I want to break away from this bad habit. I want to always try to use my time wisely, improve myself,
and stimulate my brain.


I, however, can’t just turn off my phone for the day and fast from checking it. It’s how my husband and I keep
in contact with each other during the day and I also keep track of my nursing schedule with my handy app
(and I’m really forgetful, so wouldn’t remember what time I last fed the baby.)


One thing I have done successfully is silencing my phone and leaving it in one spot (not carrying it around
in my pocket where it is constantly within reach), where I can periodically check to see if Kris messaged
me or if it’s time to feed the baby. I also now only check my social media accounts during my night feedings
since that helps me stay awake. If I stick to these two things, it’s helps so much with not being glued to
my phone. (Another thing I’ve tried is when there is one particular social media site or app that I’m becoming
addicted to, I delete that app. This forces me not to gravitate toward it whenever I have a spare moment.
I did this with Facebook for a few months and it helped so much! I’ve now got that under control and have
it back on my phone.)


Whenever you’re trying to get rid of a bad habit, you need to replace it with a good one. If every afternoon,
you snack on Oreos (and you want to change that), you then replace that with healthy chocolate balls. Sheer
willpower won’t always work. Instead, put some plans in place with things you can do instead of check your
phone.


Things to do while waiting other than check your phone


Read a book. This is especially good for if you have a longer wait - waiting room, airplane ride, or nursing
a baby.


Exercise and/or stretches. Not necessarily a half hour program (though that’s not a bad idea!), but if you
have five minutes, why not jog in place, do some crunches, or stretch out your calves? I wouldn’t do this
in public, but it’s perfect for while at home waiting for your food in the microwave, your ride to show up, or
your laundry to finish.


Start a conversation with someone near you. Your husband, sister, friend, or stranger. When our phones
just magically appear in our hands during every lull, we miss out on impromptu conversations and the chance
to get to know other people better.


Clean something. I have a tendency to think that jobs like unloading the dishwasher, spraying down the
bathroom, or starting a load of laundry will take planning in advance and a lot of brain power. But, when
I actually get down to them, they are really easy and usually don’t take more than five minutes. So while
waiting for that timer to go off or that pot of water to boil, wipe a counter, put a few dishes away, or sweep
the floor.


Put something away. When I clean, I tend to make piles of things that don’t belong in that area - recycling
to take outside, clothes to take to the basement, or things to take upstairs. And I sometimes just leave those
piles for when I have more time. But honestly, it takes 30 seconds to open the back door and drop the plastic
bottles in the recycling bin.


Enjoy the view. Notice the buildings, paintings on the wall, the dust in the corner.


Pray, mentally list things you’re grateful for, or just think. Great way to put “pray without ceasing” to good
practice! :-)


Play the piano, work on handwork (crocheting, mending, etc.), sing, dance, fix something, paint your nails,
play with the cat (or dog), draw or doodle, practice handwriting, journal, play with your kids, practice deep
breathing exercises, memorize scripture and repeat that, take out the garbage, organize a drawer, rearrange
the furniture or smell the flowers.


I hope this is as inspiring to you as it is to me. Like I said earlier, this is an area that I struggle with and need
daily reminders to leave my phone alone and notice the world around me.

What do you all think? What are some of your ideas for helping you break this bad habit?

Comments