Thoughts on Contentment

Photo by Josh Applegate on Unsplash

I’m not big into decorating, but I do enjoy making my home look beautiful. I will get inspired looking through
Pinterest, decorating books, or watching YouTube videos on how to make gorgeous DIYs and I start thinking
about how I can completely redo the look of my house to give it “my style”. All I need to do is figure out
exactly what style each room is, paint every wall, buy a couple new pieces of furniture, go second hand
shopping for new decor, and buy mountains of supplies for every DIY I could make to complete my space.


But wait, I don’t have the money for that, or the time. I’m not creative enough. Other people have nicer homes
to start with. My house will never be that nice.


And on and on the negative thoughts go. I’m officially discontent and wanting what other people have.


This is not the attitude I want to have or that I want to pass on to my kids (who soak up everything, especially
the negative things).


I want to change my focus from what I don’t have to seeing how truly blessed I am.


Instead of wishing for new paint on the walls, I can be thankful for my large house.


Instead of sighing about how my decorations don’t look as nice as someone else’s, I can be grateful for
the many items I do have to beautify our home.


Instead of wanting new, matching, un-stained dish cloths, I can thank the Lord for all the towels I do own.


It’s all about an attitude adjustment. It’s totally fine to have and purchase new and beautiful things. It’s wonderful
to create a lovely home for your family and invite friends over to enjoy your space. But when we focus on
what we don’t have, then what we do have seems shabby, outdated, and boring (remember Madame Blueberry?).


This is a journey that I’m on - sometimes everything is going well. I feel content with what I have been given
and am able to rejoice with other people’s blessings. But then, my focus changes and I start looking too
closely at what other people have and think how I need all those things in my life.

I want to refocus, enjoy what I have, and remember that “every good gift and every perfect gift is from above” (James 1:17) and “godliness with contentment is great gain” (1 Timothy 6:6).

Comments

Post a Comment