Life in Malawi

Photo by Daniel Mtombosola on Unsplash

I had always imagined Africa to be all deserts and mud huts, but actually being here, there are many conveniences like paved roads, hot running water, and nice grocery stores. Still, there are so many things that are, well, very foreign to this American.

We have been here for a while and I have gotten used to some of the things that first surprised and intrigued me. But I'll try to make this list as complete as possible.

-People walking everywhere. Driving through a town is crazy because people are all over the road, but they also walk along the highway.
-"Taxis" (bikes with a seat mounted above the back wheel). The drivers decorate their bikes with stickers, reflectors, flags, and a fancy cushioned seat for their passenger. At certain sections of town, groups of taxis and their drivers assemble, waiting for customers.
-Whenever you stop your car, people cone up to the windows with stuff to sell - fruit, paintings, brooms, clothes, etc. At first, I'd feel so guilty, like I should be helping these people out, but then I've learned to just shake my head and turn away.
-Beggers, sometimes with severe physical disabilities. It's so sad, but you can't help everyone. (Once a little boy came up to our car while we were parked and said "give me some money." When I shook my head, he said "I am sorry, forgive me." Then went to the next window and asked Kris for money.)
-Women carrying loads on their heads - five gallon buckets full of water, trays piled high with fruit, even bundles of branches 10 feet long!
-Everyone dresses so nicely - men in slacks and dress shirts (sometimes suits) and women in nice dresses (outfits that I would wear to church!). It's not that common to see women in pants. Most women wear a chitenge, a brightly colored piece of clothing they tie around their waist.
-Dogs everywhere, but they're not pets. We think that some are possessed by demons and you can hear them howling at night. Shivers!
-People eat every part of the chicken - feet, head, and intestines (which they wrap around the feet).
-On the side of the road, people sell sticks skewered with cooked mice. Our Malawian friend Augustine who has had them - and loves them - says they taste like sausages because they've been brined, then cooked. People also sell little birds (I'm not sure what kinds they are, but they're like the African equivalent to robins) that have been cooked on a stick. They look like tiny chicks.
-You greet everyone with "Hello, how are you? I am fine." (In English or Tumbuka). If you walk into a room of people, you greet every person the exact same way. It seems tedious and redundant, but it's considered rude if you don't.
-White people are an attraction. White babies even more so.
-The main form of public transportation are mini buses, which are the size of a 12 passenger van. And Malawians know how to stuff people in! Another pretty popular ride is a 3-wheel taxi (seats the driver and 2 passengers)
-Everyone litters and the streets are lined with garbage.
-Chickens and goats roam freely.

It has been an amazing experience being here for the last 6 weeks and learning about a totally different culture. It is a once-in-a-lifetime experience and I'm trying to enjoy it and learn a lot while I'm here!

Comments

Post a Comment