{Reading}

This post was written a few years ago, soon after our family had been through a move. I always enjoy reading through my old posts like this - it inspires me to continue reading good books, even though I may feel like I'm too busy.

Photo by Claudia on Unsplash

Despite the fact that our lives have been very crazy, I've been reading a ton lately! But since we have been busy, I've been able to relax and let myself read interesting, easy books. ;-)

While we (Matthew, Hannah, and I) were painting, we listened to four G.A. Henty audio books:

Beric the Britain This one was so incredibly interesting! I think it was everyone's favorite. Stuff is constantly happening, from a crazy wolf hunt, fighting as a gladiator, and escaping Romans.

In Freedom's Cause Full of Scottish pride, amazing battles and lots of true stories about William Wallace and Robert the Bruce!

Winning His Spurs Set during the Crusades, the main character fights along side King Richard the Lion Heart and even Robin Hood. ;-) And an awesome escape on a camel. :-D

With Lee in Virginia The book is about a young Southern soldier and spy. Lots of very interesting undercover escapes and a sweet romance. ;-)

I usually read more than one book at once, but because of the move, that was kinda out of the question. I just kept my current book close at hand to read whenever the opportunity arose. The books that stood out most to me were:

Letters on Practical Subjects to a Daughter by William B. Sprague, D.D. This book, a compilation of letters written to the author's daughter, was printed in the 1800s. Her father covers many different subjects - her spiritual life, school, friends, reading, entertainment, etc. I really appreciated the stand the author took - what he had to say wasn't legalistic rules, rather guidelines. He carefully pointed out why he wanted her to do/learn those things and was very thorough. I really appreciated this book and highly recommend it to all girls (teens - twenties)

The Tanglewood Secret by Patricia M. St. John It wasn't necessarily the story that stood out to me (though it was very enjoyable!), rather the author's style of writing. I've read several of her books and loved them all! Her books are one of the best options for young people's literature - they are innocent, very interesting, and strongly Christian.

Trial and Triumph by Richard Hannula This book was written in a simple style, enabling families to read it together and even the youngest can comprehend. Each chapter is about a different hero of the faith - martyrs, Christian pioneers, church leaders, missionaries, and pastors. I had heard a lot of these names before, but didn't really know who they were. I really enjoyed reading this book and learning more about the early church.

The Long Walk by Slavomir Rawicz This is a memoir about a daring escape from a Russian work camp in Siberia by seven men and one girl. I'd read bits of this book which were printed in a collection of World War II stories, and when I saw this book at a second hand store, I had to get it! The story is incredible, but can be hard to read (torture and basically sad stuff sprinkled throughout). If that's not your thing, I wouldn't suggest you read this. =)

Jo's Boys by Louisa May Alcott Louisa Alcott is one of my favorite authors - I loved both "Little Women" and "Little Men" and I also loved the boy's sequel - "Jo's Boys". This book takes place ten years after "Little Men", showing how each of the boys turned out. In some cases, the end story is sad, in others you're quite relieved. ;-) The book isn't long, and with the quick wit, interesting and funny and sometimes sad stories, I read it in about twelve hours (I did have the flu...=P)

Bendigo Shafter by Louis L'Amour This is one of my top ten favorite books! I've read about twenty of Louis L'Amour books and I've enjoyed every one, but this book is much better. Bendago is young, still working on his education (constantly reading books), and trying to figure out what he's going to do with his life. Yet he's also steady, responsible, and makes wise decisions. The book is jam-packed full of action - trouble between the very different personalities who settled together in the town meant only for a winter shelter, danger as he drives cattle to their settlement, and the constant threat of Indian attacks. I can't really point to one thing that made this book stand out, but I loved it and simply devoured it. =)

They Were Expendable by W.L. White The story of a group of sailors fighting in The Philippines during WWII. This book was made into a movie (same title) starring John Wayne. Very interesting book, but I liked the movie better. ;-)

The Story of Irving Berlin by David Ewen Since reading this book, I have asked a handful of people "Do you know who Irving Berlin is?" No one does. Which is sad because his name used to be synonymous with American music. He wrote hundreds of popular songs which we still sing today - "White Christmas" and "God Bless America". His life started out a poor boy in Russia. His family immigrated to the U.S. where they lived in the slums of New York for years. After their father died, all the children had to work to support the family. Irving began his career as a singing waiter, slowly moving to writing music. As he continued to write songs, his fame grew. His music was very popular, and every play he wrote was a success. Sadly, our generation has forgotten this great man. I really enjoyed reading this book and learning more about a piece of American history.

Right now, I'm reading two fabulous books - "D-Day" by Stephen E. Ambrose and "Twelve Extraordinary Women" by John MacArthur, Jr., but those are for a later post. =)

What have you been reading lately?

Comments