Writing Inspiration

Photo by rawpixel.com from Pexels

I'm a chronic dreamer. I have great ideas and make amazing plans. I'm also really good at making really good excuses as to why I can't carry out my dreams and plans right now.

I'm too busy at my job. There's probably something else I should be doing. I'm gonna have a baby in a month - I don't want to start something I can't carry out to the end. I have to watch my favorite show in the evening. I'm in Africa - I'll start when I get back home.

These are all excuses I have made in the last few years.

I want to call myself a writer, but I can't unless I write.

The last few months I've read more novels that I've had in years. I have also been reading a ton of articles and books on writing. And the one thing these have impressed on me is my need to write every day. Not talk about writing, or think about writing, or read books or articles on writing. But to roll up my sleeves and actually put words on paper.

So this week, I decided to stop waiting. I pulled out a notebook and started writing. Not a journal entry or blog post. I started working on the story I've been working on (on and off) since 2012.

And I'm having so much fun! I've really missed creating stories and brainstorming crazy ideas and building interesting characters. It's far from perfect. But that's totally okay.

Yes, I have two kids. I'm in Africa without a laptop, so have to either type on my phone (like I'm doing now), or write by hand. But I'm still going to write.

Comments

Post a Comment