How to Read More as a Busy Mom

Photo by Gaelle Marcel on Unsplash

This post isn’t just for moms - it’s for anyone who would like to read more, but just can’t seem to find the time. And it’s especially for me.

I was thinking the other day how I haven’t been able to read as much as I would normally like now that I’m a mom. I just told myself that maybe I should just learn to be okay with that fact. I’ve got more important things to do.

Yet I’m finding that whenever I have a spare moment, my phone magically appears in my hand. I think nothing of watching a couple YouTube videos or reading a few blog posts, then I look longingly at my bookshelf at all the books I want to read but haven’t gotten around to reading yet.

It’s all fine and dandy to say “I’m going to read more”, but when real life happens and I don’t have a plan in place, I probably won’t instinctively reach for a book. So, to help myself combat this problem, I thought I would write up some ideas to encourage me to read more and be on my phone less.

1) Read whenever I nurse Kristopher. His first feeding of the day is when I do my devotions. I’m pretty consistent with this, but it’s the other feedings where I reach for my phone.

2) Have a book in a prominent location. For me, that’s my coffee table. When it’s sitting out in the open, I’m more likely to pick it up.

3) When you need to “go”, grab a book. Come on, we all scroll through our phones while doing our business. And most of the time, that scrolling is just a waste of time. (No pun intended. Oh great, this is getting to be TMI. Let’s move on…)

4) Download a book onto your phone. You seriously never go anywhere without your phone, so this is perfect for whenever you have extra time on your hands (waiting room, nursing stop, waiting to pick someone up, etc.)

5) Designate half an hour (or fifteen minutes) of time to reading each day. This could be while your children nap, when your husband is home and can watch the kids, right before bed, when you first wake up, whenever works best for you. Reading is super relaxing and helps you learn and grow. I can’t be on my phone right before going to bed because the bright screen wakes me up too much. But reading a chapter before snoozing is a good idea!

6) Listen to an audio book. This can be the Bible, an easy-listening book (I have a hard time fully concentrating to audio books, so need something light), or even a podcast (I listen to at least one every day.)

I am having to remind myself that it’s not the quantity of books, rather the quality. I used to read so much and I probably won’t ever be able to fly through as much as I did a few years ago. And that’s okay.

And I’m learning that I need to be okay with being bored - not having a book or phone or something to entertain me. It’s okay to look around, start conversations, or notice the dust in the corners (and go do something about that).

I hope this inspires you all to read more! Drop a comment and tell me what book(s) you are reading! I’m currently reading “Touchdown Alexander” by Shaun Alexander (autobiography of a former Seahawk.)

Comments

  1. Reading How to Manage Your Home Without Losing Your Mind by Dana White (sits by the toilet), and New Morning Mercies--a year-long devotional (that sits by my bed). I also consider reading my blog list to be more focused than just being on FB (as I can be more purposeful about what I follow, like spiritual or organizational blogs).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the title of the first book!

      That is true! I follow a few blogs, but I only seem to read them like once a week - and will read 5 posts in a row when I do. :-P

      Delete

Post a Comment