Real Life

Photo by Catherine McMahon on Unsplash

I write a lot about how you can and should write, read, and journal more. I write tips for cleaning and keeping organized. I write out my daily schedules when I feel really good about them. It may seem like I have it all together.

But most of the time, I’m writing to inspire myself.

A few months ago, I wrote about my amazing fridge organization. And I just realized that I haven’t really kept my fridge in any particular order since getting back from our two-month trip to Africa (we’ve been home for a whole month now).

I’ve actually never cleaned (i.e. scrubbed) out our pantry (and we’ve lived here for about a year and a half).

I have boxes and piles in my basement and upstairs and baby room that are too overwhelming to deal with.

Thinking about my New Year’s resolutions, I realized I’ve hardly been keeping up with my blog. I’ve been journaling maybe once a week and haven’t touched any of my stories (even the one I worked so faithfully on while in Malawi).

I spend way too much time on my phone and enjoy watching too many YouTube videos. I eat too much chocolate and don’t work out. Only touched the piano when I dusted it (after going about 6 months being covered in dust).

I have so many exciting plans and ideas for 2019, but I’m really scared to jump into them.
All that to say, I’m not perfect. My life isn’t perfect. And that’s okay. I don’t need to do everything, and neither do you. I know what my husband wants me to do and I think I accomplish that in my day.

So if you’re feeling overwhelmed by what you think you should be doing or what you think everyone else is doing (seriously, no one is doing it all anyway, they’re just pretending), just stop. Ask yourself (or your husband if you’re married) what are the most important things you should be doing. Then do those. If you have time and energy for anything else, that’s great! But don’t beat yourself up over what you can’t do.

I did start washing my face every day - nailing my New Year’s resolutions here!

Comments

Post a Comment