{Book Review} “Touchdown Alexander: My story of faith, football, and pursuing the dream” by Shaun Alexander (with Cecil Murphy)


This year, I am working through Tim Challies’ 2019 reading challenge. I told myself that I wouldn’t buy any new books to complete this challenge - rather, I’d read what I already own, or borrow from family or even the library (such an old fashioned idea!).

The first book on the challenge is a biography. I figured I must have a few on my shelves, but when looking over all the books I own, I realized the only biography I had was on Benjamin Franklin. And I didn’t really want to read that. It just looked...a little boring. (I know, I’m judging a book by its cover). So I decided to borrow something from my family.

When I asked my brother what he would recommend, he handed me his copy of “Touchdown Alexander” and said I should read that. I had never heard of this guy before and I probably wouldn’t have chosen this book on my own, but that’s why I’m so excited about this challenge - it’s pushing me to read and learn new things!

“Touchdown Alexander” is an autobiography by a Seattle Seahawk running back and 2005 NFL most valuable player. This guy was a football star way back in highschool, through college, and of course in the NFL. But it wasn’t this man’s achievements that stood out to me. It was his rock solid faith, deep convictions, love for the Lord, and passion for spreading the gospel (especially to young men).

One of the biggest things that stood out to me was how he chose to stay pure for marriage. This is so rare in our culture, yet Shaun Alexander boldly tells others his decision. It wasn’t just so that he could tell the world, “I was a virgin till I got married!” or so that his married sex life would be awesome. It was because having sex outside of marriage is wrong and he wouldn’t sin against God by doing so. I was also impressed by his (and his girlfriend’s) decision to not even kiss each other till their wedding day. They didn’t want to always be wondering “how far is too far?” and putting themselves in a place of temptation.

There was so much else in this book and about this man I really appreciated - his humility and honesty were so refreshing! It’s wonderful seeing a man who’s in the spotlight live so boldly for Christ!

Comments